The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

Breakfast all day at the Blue Plate Café

• Laura McDowell orders a waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. There were waffles of every style on the menu. (Photo: Laura McDowell)
  • The menu of the Blue Plate Café is in the style of a newspaper. It gave the restaurant a unique style. (Photo: Katie Boyle)
  • Juniors (from left to right) Laura McDowell, Miriam Brown, and Katie Boyle pose with their food. The nice waitress offered to take the picture. (Photo: Elizabeth, the waitress)

After visiting the Memphis Escape Rooms and driving around in circles trying to find a place to eat, a restaurant across the street from the starting point, the Blue Plate Café, seemed like the only place fit for lunch.

Located in the heart of Memphis, the Blue Plate Café is a quirky diner that proudly serves breakfast all day. It is definitely a place that has plenty of regulars. Do not be fooled, though, as the plates are not actually blue.

There is an immediate-family feel to the diner, as when you first walk in you are greeted with bright yellow walls and wooden floors. The environment is casual and even the waiters are wearing sweatshirts and shorts.

Blue Plate Café’s menus, which resemble newspapers, make the place unique and make guests feel right at home.

The food itself represents everything that is good in the world. The biscuits brought before the entree were amazingly flaky and fluffy. They were accompanied with a giant bowl of butter, which was used almost excessively.

The pancakes and waffles can be ordered in a variety of flavors with equally-diverse topping options, and the omelets had the perfect filling-to-egg ratio. You could eat there everyday for every meal and still be satisfied because of the quality and variety of foods offered.

The customer service was fantastic. The waiters were nice, friendly and seemingly-enjoyed their job. They also immediately split up the bills but printed it on one sheet of paper, effectively saving paper and preventing three different receipts from ending up at the bottom of a purse somewhere. If Elizabeth happens to be your waitress when you dine there, you are in for a treat.

If you are a frugal person who is still looking for a quality meal, the Blue Plate Café is the place to go.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Breakfast all day at the Blue Plate Café”

1. Laura McDowell on October 6th, 2015 1:55 PM

GOOD STUFF

[Reply]

2. Katie Boyle on October 6th, 2015 1:58 PM

They have everything Laura likes!

[Reply]

3. Miriam Brown on October 6th, 2015 2:06 PM

What a beautiful waffle.

[Reply]

Online comments will be approved prior to appearing on the website. The editorial board reserves the right to remove online comments that violate any of the rules below.

1. Comments must have a verifiable first and last name and email address.

2. Comments may not bully, belittle, or make ad hominem attacks.

3. Comments may not purposefully distract from the subject at hand.

4. Comments may not be used to advertise.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.