The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

No clapping, only snapping

First Coffee House Night captures students’ attention

• Jodie Albert and Peyton Smith performs a duet in front of the audience. The audience broke the "no clapping, only snapping" rule after the performance. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Harrison Schutt and Peyton Smith play a song for the audience. The Coffee House Night, put on by the Slam Poetry Club, consisted of poems and music by many students in the St. George’s community. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Peyton Smith plays an original song for the audience. The audience was captivated by the performance of Smith and many of the other artists who performed their pieces. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Caroline Blossom performs her original poem, “Just Chill,” in front of the audience. Many in attendance were captivated by these artists and loved hearing their poetry. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Marissa Corleone, president of the Slam Poetry Club, performs an original piece. She has participated in poetry slam competitions in the past. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Carter Burgess performs his original piece, “Everyday Encounters.” This was the first time Burgess performed a piece in front of a live audience. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Junior Jodie Albert sings with senior Peyton Smith (off camera). Albert and Smith left the audience in a standing ovation with their powerful performance. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Art teacher Mr. Danny Broadway reads his own poem, “Drop the Mic,” as the last performance. Mr. Broadway left the audience laughing with his poem at the end of the night. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Junior Audrey Pisahl performs an original piece. The Slam Poetry Club is beginning to plan the next Coffee House Night for students and teachers to come and perform. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Senior Ellie Babb reads one of her favorite poems after the night became open-mic The Slam Poetry Club is looking forward to its next Coffee House night. (Photo: Faith Huff)

Eric DiNicolantonio and Jacob Peeples

On Friday, Nov. 20, the Slam Poetry Club held their first Coffee House Night. Members from the Slam Poetry Club read poetry, some even reciting original pieces, while student musicians added to the coffee house atmosphere with musical performances. Admission was free as doors were open to anyone, and everyone in attendance was given the opportunity to read poetry or perform music.

Although this was the first Coffee House Night, the Poetry Slam Club plans to hold more this year with the hope of reaching even more people.