The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

Gryphon football wins state

• Students hold a wagon wheel over their heads to show their support for the football team. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Matthew Blum)
  • The football team holds the state trophy above their heads after the game. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The football team poses with a wagon wheel and the state trophy. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Juniors (from left to right) Noah Pope, Corey Jones, and Ben Glass pose for a picture. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The Gryphons line up on offense and prepare for a play. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The Gryphons celebrate after their win. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Senior Spencer Glass holds the American flag as he walks onto the field. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Senior Jake Lindow holds a "Don't Tread on Me" flag, which was the motto of the football team this year. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Football players walk onto the field. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Team captains (from left to right) Jacob Still, Ryan Young, Chase Hayden and Noah Pope represent the team on the field. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The team prepares to run out of the tunnel. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The cheerleaders and players run onto the stadium field before the game. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Senior Spencer Scofield (far right) blocks during a play. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Dawson Smith passes the ball back to the referee after a touchdown as juniors Ben Glass and Corey Jones celebrate. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Chase Hayden runs for a touchdown. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Senior Graham Hawthorne kicks a field goal. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The Gryphon mascot poses for a picture. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Quinshon Wooten, freshman Timber King and senior Jake Lindow rest. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Noah Pope jumps into the end zone for a touchdown. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Noah Pope scores a touchdown. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Ben Glass helps junior Chase Hayden up after a play. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior quarterback Ben Glass avoids a defender. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Noah Pope rests on the bench. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Junior Elizabeth Evans (center) cheers on the football team from the sidelines. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • Senior Jake Lindow rests on the sidelines. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)
  • The scoreboard displays the Gryphons' 50-20 win. The Gryphons earned the state title last week. (Photo: Carolyn Lane)

Miriam Brown, Editor-in-Chief

The Gryphon football team beat Northpoint Christian School 50-20 in the state championship game Thursday, Dec. 3. The victory against Northpoint earned the Gryphons their third football state title, and fourth St. George’s state title just this year, along with titles in golf, basketball and baseball.

In one of the first plays of the game, junior quarterback Ben Glass scrambled into the endzone to give the Gryphons an early lead. Northpoint immediately answered, scoring on their first play of the game. Only two minutes into the game, the game was tied 7-7.

By the end of the first quarter, Northpoint was winning 14-13. In the second quarter, the Gryphons began to find their rhythm, scoring twice more and denying Northpoint any touchdowns.

As the game progressed, the Gryphons continued to score and only allowed Northpoint to score once more, ensuring a Gryphon victory.

Glass and junior Chase Hayden led the team offensively. Glass had four touchdown passes and two rushing touchdowns, which tied the single-game touchdown record in his state division. He was named offensive MVP after the game. Hayden, who was recently named Mr. Football, ran for 266 yards.

Junior Noah Pope, the defensive MVP, contributed 14 tackles and four sacks to the win.

Over 220 students boarded fan buses to attend the game, while students and faculty at home cheered the team on from the warmth of the St. George’s dining hall.

“Even if you stayed here and watched it on T.V., it was a memorable experience,” Athletic Director Mr. Tom Densford said.