The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

You’re going to Disney World!

Make-a-Wish club grants their 12th wish

• St. George's students hide their signs before Omya sees them in order to maintain the surprise. Omya, whose wish was granted on Friday, poses with her family and St. George's students after finding out she was going to Disney World. St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Seventh graders Alicia Hardwick, Lauren Clark and Joy Huff hold their sign that says "Walt Disney World!" St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Omya, whose wish was granted on Friday, poses with her family and St. George's students after finding out she was going to Disney World. St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Gray Byrd)
  • A "Where Dreams Come True" poster hangs in front of Omya's presents after the wish granting ceremony. Omya's wish was granted on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Gray Byrd)
  • Omya reacts to the news that she is going to Disney World. Omya, whose wish was granted on Friday, poses with her family and St. George's students after finding out she was going to Disney World. St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Omya gets her nails painted by Ms. Hollis after learning she was going to Disney World. Omya's wish was granted on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Omya celebrates her wish coming true with her family after the wish granting ceremony in the gym. Omya's wish was granted on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Faith Huff)
  • Freshmen Morgan McGuffee and Mary Miller Goldberg hold a sign that says "You're Going to Disney." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Sixth graders Mac Murphy. Will Franklin and Clarkson Shoaf hold a sign that says "Disney Bound." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Seniors Elise Fong, Caroline Green and Kathryn Smith hold a sign that says "Magical Disney." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Seniors Josh Mullenix, Jane Shelby Bragg and Heather Stevenson hold a sign that says "You're Going to Disney." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Seniors Adam Cruthirds, Kyle Mehmed and Harrison Schutt hold a sign that says "You Are Going to Disney." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)
  • Juniors Mimi McCarroll and Caroline Farrell hold a sign that says "Keep Calm and Put Your Ears On: You Are Going to Disney." St. George's granted their 12th wish on Friday, March 18. (Photo: Annie Vento)

On Friday, March 18, the St. George’s Make-a-Wish club granted their 12th wish for Omya, a young girl who loves Disney and the colors pink and green. Students formed a pathway in the Slatery Gym and wore pink and green shirts to celebrate Omya, and they made signs in advisory earlier in the week with Disney-related phrases.

Omya came to St. George’s on Friday and took a school of the tour from the perspective of a student interested in the school. However, the tour was actually a cover for Omya’s wish, and the last stop was the Slatery Gym.

When Omya arrived, she walked through the pathway and was greeted by all middle and upper school students cheering for her. Once she made it to the end, senior William McBride announced that she was going to Disney World and would be leaving on Saturday.

The wish was made possible with the sale of Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits and Parker’s Water Ice throughout the year.