The student voice of St. George's Independent School.

Humans of Memphis

Josh Beitler; Great American Cookies worker

Humans of Memphis

Photo: Elise Fong

Josh Beitler works at Great American Cookies on Sunday, March 20. Beitler helped me pick out a cookie and talked about his life experiences.

Today began like any other day for me. I ran out to the mall to buy some things I needed, I went to Barnes and Noble to finish up some homework and look at new books, and later on, I started to get hungry. So, I thought, what better way to fight off my hunger than sweets? I quickly ran over to Great American Cookies, only to be met with the everlasting dilemma of what cookie to get. Out of the ordinary though, I was met with this extremely positive aura and laughter-filled air.

When I was having trouble deciding on what kind of cookie I should get, Great American Cookies worker Josh Beitler greeted me and persuaded me to have my usual: a sugar double doozie cookie.

I could immediately tell he was incredibly kind and patient with me since I was so indecisive about what I wanted. He continued on to help me by letting me ask him a question:

“Do you mind if I take your photograph? I’d like to know more about you.”

This is what happened:

Elise Fong: “What was your happiest memory?”

Josh Beitler: “My happiest memory I think was meeting my best friend. He works here actually. We’ve been friends for almost eleven years. I met him in a park in Memphis, and we’ve been friends since middle school.”

EF: “How did you two become friends?”

JB: “We became friends because we were sorta similar. We were both bullied in school.”

EF: “When did it start?”

JB: “Actually, it started in second grade. It went on until sixth grade, and that’s when I met my friend. But one day I decided to stand up to them because I couldn’t take their comments anymore.”

EF: “Any advice to someone who’s being bullied now?”

JB: “Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you. Just remember that you have to prove those guys wrong. Don’t ever listen to them.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Humans of Memphis”

1. anonymous on May 4th, 2016 11:50 AM

loved this article!! more more more

[Reply]

Online comments will be approved prior to appearing on the website. The editorial board reserves the right to remove online comments that violate any of the rules below.

1. Comments must have a verifiable first and last name and email address.

2. Comments may not bully, belittle, or make ad hominem attacks.

3. Comments may not purposefully distract from the subject at hand.

4. Comments may not be used to advertise.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Humans of Memphis